The former “Investment Group” has now been renamed as the “Family Finances Group”, as this name more accurately describes what we do. It meets on the third Thursday of each month except in July, August and December. The meetings, which are held in Weybourne House, commence with coffee, tea & biscuits from around 9.45am for a 10.00am start and finish around noon. At the meetings we either have an invited Guest Speaker or have an internal discussion on a nominated topic. There is a small charge for attendance to cover hire of the room, tea/coffee, etc.
For 2021 this is still £25 for the whole year but the fee for Casual Visitors is £4 per session; (Guests are not charged on their first visit).
To provide Members with information at monthly meetings through invited Guest Speakers and internal discussion on a diverse range of topics, such as:
- Money Management in Retirement including, but not limited to, the best use of ISA’s/SIPPs/VCTs/Bonds and structured products.
- Use of Wealth Managers/IFAs/Investment platforms, etc.
- Latest views on the UK and Global investment markets and “Hot Tips”.
- Legal Matters ranging from Wills and IHT management to Powers of Attorney.
- Pros and Cons of “Buy to Let” properties and downsizing considerations.
- UK Budget Announcements.
- Pending UK Legislation
- Making use of modern technology to manage and optimize expenditure
which may include such matters as:
- Purchase of insurance products in retirement including travel, motor, home and health products.
- Internet sources of investment information and portfolio monitoring.
- Use of devices such as smart phones/TVs and appliances best suited to one’s needs.
- Protecting oneself from internet crime.
- Purchase of utilities using websites.
- Other internet based purchasing.
- Retail Banking and Building Society best buys and how to find them.
Guest Speakers are invited from a range of professions including IFAs, Wealth Managers and Solicitors, together with speakers from other relevant organizations. Other meetings which are based on internal discussion between Members on a selected topic/theme will be led by a nominated “Chairman” from the Group.
It is hoped that all the members of the FFG will sense a friendly and mutually supportive atmosphere and feel encouraged to participate and share their own experiences, including their successes and any problems encountered.
Covid-19: Our 2020 programme was cut short but, thanks to the likes of Zoom, we have continued into 2021 with well supported monthly remote sessions. There has been a summer break – no July or August meetings – as has been customary. From September 16th 2021 there is a resumption of live meetings, hence a rearranged programme thereafter. See this page and “Latest News” posts for details.
Our Provisional 2021 Programme
|18th Feb||Estate planning and inheritance tax. (Zoom Meeting)||Buckingham Gate (Matt Smith)||John Coleman|
Forum/Workshop concept introduction. (Zoom Meeting)
|15th April||Tax mitigation investments. (Zoom Meeting)||Octopus Investments (Florence Wilson)||John Coleman|
|20th May||The current investment scene. (Zoom Meeting)||
Charles Stanley (John Devine)
|17th June||Planning for one’s family in the event of death. (Zoom Meeting)||Moore Barlow Solicitors (Dan Milano & Libby Wardle)
|16th Sept||Investment Outlook & Strategy. (Live Meeting at Weybourne House).||Investec (Joe Davis)||John Coleman|
|15th Oct||To be decided.||TBA||Kalyan Das|
|18th Nov||To be decided.||TBA||TBA|